Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Interview


Q:
Tell us about yourself

A:
My name is Felipe Zapata-Valencia I was born and raised in Colombia. Lived in Costa Rica for 3 years and then moved to jersey

Q:
How did you get into art?

A:
Well since I was younger I always loved to draw in my free time w my cousins. Later on I would just draw stuff in my sketchbook and spend hours on each sketch. It was sort of my alone time. Then I grew love for painting and graphic design, but it wasn't until sophomore year that I took my first photography class and fell inlove with the camera and expressing myself though photographs.

Q:
So you chose photography as your concentration?

A:
I first started in mason gross as a design major, then I was planning on double concentrating on photography and design because ultimately I wish to mix both media in my work but im still figuring out how

Q:
How would you describe your work?

A:
My work is very detail oriented. I put a lot of thought in my photo shoots. I always give my models a role to play. I think of a costume or theme and have them pose according to it. 

Q: What do you wish to communicate with your work?

A: As of now, I am simply expressing ideas and just producing work for the aesthetics. 

Q: What do you mean when you say, “as of now” ?

A: I am still experimenting with the different nuances of photography. I feel that there is so much more to experiment with and I do not want to limit myself just yet. 

Q: Is there anyone you look up to as an artist?

A: Yes. I look up to Andy Warhol and David Lachapelle. I use a lot of color and color theory within my body of work. I try to stay away from the expected. I always wish to give my viewers a break from the mundane. I want people to remember my work as refreshing, wether controversial or just completely out of the ordinary. 

Q: Do you title your work?

A: I do not. As of now, I do not wish to title any of my work because I want to give the viewer the liberty of taking my pieces and interpreting them on their own. 

Q: What are you planning for your next project to be?

A: Currently, I do not have any solid ideas, but I am certain that I want to do portraiture in the near future. I would also like to keep experimenting with color. 

No comments:

Post a Comment